Sparky’s Indoor Holiday Safety Tips

Nothing ruins holiday celebrations more than an emergency trip to the dogter. Trust me, I’m Sparky, and I’m experienced in this kind of thing. You know that stuff hanging on those shiny Christmas trees? One year I decided to see if it tasted as good as it looked. It didn’t. What’s even worse is that my mom and dad had to rush me to the dogter because I got so sick. I don’t remember much after that, except for waking up wearing the cone of shame. I learned my lesson ... for sure. That’s why I wanted to give you some pet safety tips so your pets' holidays are spent in celebration, rather than being spent at the vet. Take it from me, Sparky, it’s better to be safe than sorry this holiday season. Here are some pet holiday safety tips so your best pal experiences holiday cheer, instead of holiday fear. 

Christmas Trees

During the holidays, my family brings a real live tree into the house and puts it in my favorite corner of the living room. The first time I saw it I thought I was outside, so I lifted my leg on it and my family didn’t like that. Then I saw the drinking water at the bottom of the tree. ‘Good for tree, good for me,’ I thought. But just as I was about to take a nice big drink, my pet parents shouted “No” and shooed me away. I didn’t know that trees could drink water that could make dogs sick! Now my family puts a baby playpen around the tree to help keep me from getting into trouble. Plus, it keeps out my kitty sister who likes to climb the tree like a wildcat, which could knock it over and cause a fire. 

Ornaments and decorations

Speaking of trouble, I already mentioned the dangers of decorations for dogs and other pets around the holidays. Dogs and cats don’t really understand these dangers, so try to pet-proof your house, much like you would baby-proof a house. Glass ornaments can break and cut your pet’s paws, and tinsel and garland are dangerous when eaten. Candles and decorations with open flames could accidentally be knocked over by your pet, causing a fire. Decorations and gifts with wires and batteries also run the risk of shocking your pet. When you spend your holidays with pets, take extra precautions to help keep us safe. 

Poisonous holiday plants

Some plants that are poisonous to pets are commonly displayed around the holidays. As a dog, I pawsonally think plants and flowers are pretty and they smell very very interesting. My family keeps them away from me though. Holiday plants like poinsettias, amaryllis, daffodils, lilies, holly and mistletoe are poisonous to pets. Christmas cactus contain barbs that can cause vomiting and diarrhea. The oils found on some species of fir trees can also make pets very sick. Keep your pet safe this holiday and keep plants out of your pet’s reach or avoid them altogether.

Sweets and treats

If your pooch is anything like me, then I’ll bet they looooove treats. At holiday time there are always lots of treats around the house, like candy and chocolate and festive drinks that may contain alcohol. When I see a treat, I can’t resist the temptation to try it, so my family is always careful about where they leave their holiday snacks and drinks so that I don’t get into them and get sick. Instead, they give me my own Nature’s Advantage treats, which are my very very favorite! Give ‘em a try and watch your own pooch give you an extra smooch of gratitude for giving ‘em such a scrumptious real meat treat instead of all that sugary stuff that makes ‘em sick. 

Don’t forget to pick up some extra Nature’s Advantage treats for your holiday pet stocking. I heard they have a promotion going on ‘em too! You can get a treat free when you buy 2 treats–that’s a sweet deal!

Share our holiday safety tips blog with others so that their pooch can stay as safe as Sparky. Follow Sparky on Facebook and Twitter and shop now to pick up some of Sparky’s favorite treats for your own pooch.

You have successfully subscribed!
$(document).on('change', '.swatch-element', function(){ BOLD.BsubWidget._renderPrices(); });